Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:30:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion: loosen slightly securelevel>1 time change restriction

:At the moment, setting the time to any point in the past (that is,
:if the delta being applied is negative) is not allowed if the securelevel
:of the system is >1.
:
:The problem with this is that even if you run ntpdate at boot time,
:xntpd can occasionally want to make small negative steps.
:
:I suggest easing up slightly on the restriction. Say, negative steps of
:more than a minute are disallowed. It would seem to me that this would
:let xntpd operate correctly in most cases while still denying the
:opportunity for serious mischief to hackers desiring to wreak havoc
:with time warps.
:
:Comments?

    We should remove the securelevel code that prevents the date from
    being set backwards.  It's stupid code and doesn't work anyway...
    you can set the date forward enough times to wrap it.  Also consider
    the fact that Kerberos will fail of the time isn't synchronized between
    machines and that NFS and many other subsystems will do weird things
    when the time is out of sync between machines.    The 'protection'
    that securelevel is giving us, in regards to the time, is zip.

						-Matt