Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 19:20:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Bewley <wabbit@ionet.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install probs: NCRc810/HP drive?

I'm trying to install FreeBSD for the first time, from the
Walnut Creek 2.1.0 CD.  The bootdisk boots just fine, but whenever
I go into the "Novice" section, it informs me that it could not
locate my hard drive (a WD 3275s 2.1 gig SCSI drive, on id0).
It seems to handle my NCR3c810 controller fine, and recognize the
HP drive and my Matshita CR-504 (SCSI) CD-ROM drive, located on
id0 and id1, respectively.
  As I select "Quit" from the install menu (my only real option),
I can see error messages as the system reboots. Best as I can
reassemble (I can't find a way to read them except in the few
tenths of a second before the system reboots), the messages
appear to be:
sd0:ncr0(0:0:0) asc:4e,0 ABORTED COMMAND

I've been through the freebsd.org mailing list archives, the
hardware FAQ, etc, and can't seem to find anything remotely
resembling this problem.  The system is new (<1mth old),
so hardware/configuration problems are possible, but it's
worked well under Linux (redhat and debian) as well as *gasp*
win95.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible fixes/places to
look?  Hell, I wouldn't mind just being able to *read* the
error messages as they flew by.

Thanks for any help anyone could give,
- Jeff Bewley
  wabbit@ionet.net

Basic system information: Pentium 100mhz, 32 megs non-EDO RAM,
NCR3c810 (rev 2) controller, Diamond Stealth Graphics 2001 video
card, 2.1 gig HP SCSI drive, 4x Matshita CDROM, Zoom internal
faxmodem (com4), ms-busmouse(com1)

--
* Jeff Bewley - wabbit@ionet.net - http://www.ionet.net/~wabbit/ *