Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:54:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@shell.futuresouth.com>
To:        Matthew <mattw@aone.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot.

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Matthew wrote:

> Hi.
>    I have been trying to install FreeBSD on the secondary master HDD in
> my computer.
>
> The boot loader is also working from the second HDD. The Kernal appears
> to get loaded, it gets to the end of the load and says, panic, can't
> mount root.
>
> Using the fixit floppy I am able to mount the root partition and see all
> the files.. All looks fine. Looking at fstab the partition labels look
> fine. Just to be on the safe side I have gone and changed the root
> partition to /dev/wd just about everything.
>
> The labeling part of the install says root should be /dev/wd2s1a.. Tried
> it.. When I first looked at fstab it was set to /dev/wd2a.

I believe you'll have to compile a custom kernel for this.  Looking
through my kernel config file....
{/usr/src/sys/i386/conf} root@mortis: %cat MORTIS | grep root
config          kernel  root on wd0
I think you need to compile a new kernel that will look for root in wd2 (I
think it's 2; sec master).  If you have the source install, you can boot
with the fixit, do all the mounts and fscks manually, and compile a new
kernel with
config		kernel	root on wd2
And that should do it.  If you don't have the src installed, you should be
able to boot up and install at least the sys (kernel) source.

> --
> Matthew
> Access One Help Desk
>

>                   The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled,
>                 was convincing the world that he did not exist.
>                               --Keiser Soze--

|  FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be    |
*    FreeBSD: turning PCs into workstations       *
| Windows: turning workstations into typewriters  |
* fullermd@futuresouth.com   :-}  MAtthew Fuller  *
|   http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     |