Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:05:40 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE [was: Where's X go?]

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 11:46:58PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> You're right it is kinda weird. It all stemmed from the fact that I knew
> that freebsd-questions is a very high volume mailing list, and I'm on
> the end of a very slow connection which already carries a lot of mail.

Yes, quite a few of us have that problem, especially those outside of the
USA. It's worth the volume though.

> I was trying to find a list which had an 'intermediate' volume, I know
> that this isn't what -stable was intended for, but I subscribed before
> I really understood the mailing list system. I'll subscribe to
> -questions tonight.

I don't think you'll find too much difference in volume.

What really worries me is that there's been a few very careful newbies
who have misunderstood the various branches and started trying to install
FreeBSD-CURRENT, a version under development, thinking that it was the
right thing to use the "latest" version. Of course these versions are
mainly for develpers and people who are keen to be hit by bugs in their
larval stage. It is difficult to do any more than we do to avoid these
misconceptions.

> > > In my opinion all this reading has got me far better prepared then any
> > > FAQ or handbook. There is a better way then learning by making mistakes,
> > > and that's learning from other people's mistakes! :-)
> >
> > Hmmm, you might have made your first two learning mistakes already if you
> > have avoided the FAQ and Handbook, and if you have chosen not to read
> > freebsd-questions.
> >

> I didn't avoid the Handbook or FAQ at all! I just forgot to mention
> them! :-) I downloaded them and devoted a considerable amount of time to
> looking through them, and I still refer to them when I get lost in a
> conversation on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

Too late! Too late! You have false followers already.
Half an hour ago there was a meeting of ten thousand newbies where they
threw all their Handbooks and FAQs on a huge fire and ran around in
circles joyfully shouting "Burn the FAQing Handbook!" :-)

BTW, have you checked out http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html ?
Any comments or suggestions?

--

Regards,