Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:27:03 -0700
From:      Chris Palmer <chris@noncombatant.org>
To:        utisoft@googlemail.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD bug grants local root access (FreeBSD 6.x)

utisoft@googlemail.com writes:

> It appears to only affect 6.x.... and requires local access. If an
> attacker has local access to a machine you're screwed anyway.

No, the thing you're screwed anyway by is local *physical* access. Merely
running a process as a non-root local user should *not* be a "you're screwed
anyway" scenario. The fundamental security guarantee of a modern operating
system is that different principals cannot affect each other's resources
(user chris cannot read or write user jane's email -- let alone root's
email). This bug breaks that guarantee, and is definitely not a ho-hum bug.

Remote exploits, which I agree are even worse, are in a sense a special case
of breaking the same guarantee: the pseudo-principal "anonymous maniac from
the Internet" can affect user root's (or whoever's) resources. Some
operating systems even have an explicit "anonymous" user, but the point is
the same either way.

--
http://www.noncombatant.org/
http://hemiolesque.blogspot.com/