Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 08:42:20 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        richw@webcom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw: several equal rules under same number bug

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 21:22:59 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> I have at least one application where I generate ipfw rules in a script,
> for a set of subnets which I read from a file at execution time.  I am
> able to use the numbers to group the firewall rules , so that for any
> given subnet, I can predict the order in which the rules will be
> applied.

In situation you describe you can _add_ rules without any harm, but you
can't _delete_ some of them later - it cause totally unpredictable
results, i.e. delete operation really not works in the current way. Better
way will be to give all subnets unique numbers ranges.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/