Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 09:30:33 +0000 ()
From:      Neil Bradley <root@root>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Neil Bradley stands accused of saying:
> > Back when I designed BIOSes for P5 motherboards, we'd initialize ISA
> You realise that this was an incredibly brave thing to admit to?

Or an incredibly STUPID thing to admit to... ;-)

> As an example; FreeBSD has trouble reliably rebooting a number of
> motherboards; the ones I've had problems with were all 486 systems,
> but I'm sure there were some P5 boards with the same problems.

I spoke to Rod Grimes about this about a year ago.

> Could you detail the appropriate steps to take to reliably force a
> reboot from protected mode?  And could whoever was in there last
> (Rod I suspect...) look and see how this compares with the way we do
> things?

We'd force the keyboard controller to cause the CPU to reset. If remember
correctly, doing an out 91h, 0feh caused a reboot. I can't remember for
sure - I'll check some old source code when I get back home and let you know.

-->Neil

Synthcom System's homepage:                         http://www.synthcom.com/
Europa Upgrade, Synth patches (D-50, Xpander/Matrix 12), used gear pricelist