Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sitting inside, looking out...

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :No, I think you missed the point.  The T-shirt (or sweatshirt, or
> :baseball cap or whatever) should be special, easily identified as
> :special and available only to the group you're trying to
> :incent/reward.
>     I understand the point.  It's a bad idea.

I understand both points...

First, I think everyone seriously involved with development effort(s)
deserves a big 'Thank you' and a pat on the back for putting up with a lot
of the BS that goes on and spending sleepless nights tackling problems the
rest of us can barely imagine solutions to...  In this regard, something
that makes these individuals 'special' is good...  because they are
special.

Second, by making select individuals 'special' in an attempt to provide
incentive, you may do just the opposite...  You may alienate individuals
by making them feel like they're not a member of the 'chosen few'.

I can see both sides of this argument...  Which is why I think the best
action would be to simply make FreeBSD shirts as available as possible,
rather than risking the alienation specialized products could lead to.

I wouldn't feel alienated...  I'd very gladly pitch in money for shirts,
hats, jkh-signature-edition love ewes *wink*, etc...  but some people
may...  *shrug*

Later,
--mike