Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:53:13 +0200 (MEST)
From:      David Olsson <don@cs.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   netd on a slow computer?

Hello!

I'm using my old Pentium 100MHz with 16MB RAM as a firewall with network
address translation. This works but there are however some glitches; I
achieve a satifactory connection speed most of the time but once every
thirty seconds or so the connection hangs for a few seconds and then
continues at the previous rate. This is the case both when connecting to
the internet from my LAN (which, by the way, only consists of the
firewall and one more computer) and when connection to the firewall from
my LAN using for example ssh or ftp.

Does anyone have an idea what the reason for this problem is? Could it be
the low amount of RAM memory?

Very grateful for any response!
David Olsson (don@cs.umu.se)