Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:31:37 -0800
From:      "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Horst_G=FCnther_Burkhardt_III?=" <horst@sxemacs.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two issues. One minor, one major.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Horst G=FCnther Burkhardt III
<horst@sxemacs.org> wrote:
> Another thing I forgot: for those brave enough to look at this problem :
> the entire session log can be found at http://rafb.net/p/MOTbHY26.html
> relating to the failure of python25 to build. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I'm completely stumped as to the cause of this odd error.
>
> ktrace and kdump links available:
> ktrace  : http://midcom.unlogicnetworks/tmpfiles/python-compileall-trace.=
txt.bz2
> kdump -f: http://midcom.unlogicnetworks/tmpfiles/python-compileall-kdump.=
txt.bz2
> Hopefully these will help unearth what went wrong to some extent.
>
> Is there anything further I can provide to assist with diagnosing the pro=
blem? (It has been suggested that this is an upstream bug perhaps.)

> Thanks again,
> -- Horst.

Why are you using mcpu and mtune directly? You can use CPUTYPE, e.g.:

CPUTYPE                 :=3D nocona

(Replace nocona with 7400 8-)...)

I did a quick google search and while -mcpu=3D7400 and -mtune=3D7400
doesn't necessarily imply -maltivec, I would ask the GCC folks whether
or not that is truly the case. Or a quicker means to determine if that
is the problem is to use mcpu=3Dcommon (or a known working 32-bit ppc
arch) and see whether or not you run across the same error.

-Garrett