Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 16:42:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ: best currently supported sound card?

Roland Jesse wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
 > I searched the mailinglist archieves. The result comes basically down to:
 > Get a Soundblaster - a real one, not a clone.
 >
 > But there are even quite a bunch of Soundblasters out there, like the AWE
 > 64 Gold/Value, Soundblaster 16, Soundblaster 32, ...
 >
 > Any recommendations are very much appreciated.

If you need full duplex (e.g. for audio conferencing),
then follow Luigi's advice in this thread.  Do not buy
a SoundBlaster card.

Otherwise, if you want a soundcard for high quality
audio (e.g. mp3 playback), get an AWE64 Gold or Value.
The latter is available for about 60$.  Such an AWE64
is doing a _great_ job in my mp3 player box.

Of course there are also professional cards which are
much more expensive, useful for professional musicians
or serious harddisk recording and things like that,
but I'm afraid you won't be able to do that kind of
things under FreeBSD.

DO NOT buy an SB16, Vibra16, SB32 or any older cards
from Creative Labs or clones of such cards.  They have
lousy DACs/preamps.  Their frequency response and S/N
ratio is miles away from anything called "hifi".  They
might be OK for games, though.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany