Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 11:17:26 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: San Francisco Chronicle Discovers FreeBSD

At 01:20 30.05.00 +0200, Juergen Nickelsen wrote:
>Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> writes:
>
>> "G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:
>>
>> > What amazes me whenever I read articles that list the big Internet users
>> > who use FreeBSD is that they never ever mention pair Networks, one of the
>> > largest web host providers (perhaps even the largest), which is 100%
>> > FreeBSD. They currently host 94,391 sites - that's quite a family of
>> > FreeBSD sites!
>>
>> 	I'm assuming you mean "largest _paid_ web hosting..." since geocities
>> numbers in the millions. :) You're right though, 94k users is a
>> goodly chunk, and I didn't know that y'all were using FreeBSD.
>
>The german company Strato (in cooperation with KPNQwest) claims to
>be the largest web hosting service, but I couldn't find any numbers
>on their web site. Their data center, they say, is suited for more
>than a million domains, so they have probably less than that.
>Recently I heard that they said to have had an increase of 400000
>domains last year, so it should be a total between that and a
>million. Paid web hosting service, that is, and they are using
>Solaris, not FreeBSD.
Hi!

Well, they just topped 600.000 domains.
But they really suck in reliability- Only have one big server running (ok,
the big one from Sun, but after all, only one) and plan to stock up to three...
Of course, for that hardware you really need Solaris...
Have my domain also hosted there, and sometimes its no fun.
But they are famous for not letting you leave by simply not signing the
KK-agreement to transfer the domain to another web hoster...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)