Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 09:14:00 +0200
From:      The Unicorn <unicorn@blackhats.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup trouble

Hi Bill,

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Bill Fumerola supposedly wrote:

> [ cvs-committers moved to bcc: ]
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 02:57:18PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> > On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 02:58:31PM -0500, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > > As posted before, that does not work, try doing that and then cvsupping
> > > twice in a row.  you have to delete your checkouts file to fix it.
> >
> > Someone mentioned that just removing the "files" line in the checkouts
> > file would fix it..  of course, I don't use cvsup anymore.  :-)
>
> If you don't use it then why offer (mis-)information about it? Just Press 'D'.

He, for one, did correct the problem.

> In any event, Mr. Unicorn[1], please avoid using cvs-committers@ as your
> people who would like to help with these kinds of questions.

This being  the exact kind of  mail why so many  potential users refrain
from continuing to use FreeBSD as their Operating System triggered me to
reply to  your message. Most of  them turning eventually to  Linux after
getting a similar treatment from the  OpenBSD community. You do not even
try to formulate a possible answer, but only tell people what not to do,
and  reroute  the question  to  another  mailinglist, while  a  possible
solution and a  reroute would be so much more  helpful. I might possibly
use questions@freebsd.org in the future should another problem arise, so
your hint has not been shouted at deaf ears.

I am  sorry to use the  cvs-commiters list as "my  personal help mailing
list", but  in my reasoning it  does contain all cvs-committers  who are
"responsible"  for creating  the problem  in  the first  place, so  what
better way  than to ask for  a little help  at the source. I  might even
learn  something in  the  process. Secondly  I did  try  to resolve  the
problem before posting the message (I always do), but failed and at that
time  I  could  not  find  a possible  solution  in,  to  me,  available
resources.

To answer your personal question. My  name is Hans Van de Looy, chairman
of the Dutch FreeBSD User Group, trying to evangelize the use of FreeBSD
(and OpenBSD  and NetBSD for  those platforms  not supported yet  by the
FreeBSD product) in  the Netherlands (although we also  have people from
Belgium joining  our events). I do  appreciate your work on  the FreeBSD
product a lot, as I do everybody  elses work as well, but email messages
like these do not make my "job" any easier. ;-)

> --
> Bill Fumerola - security yahoo         / Yahoo! inc.
>               - fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org
>
> 1. we really like real names around these parts, btw.

--- End of Quoted Text ---

BTW.  Thanks again  to  all the  others  who did  provide  me with  some
pointers to a (possible) solution. It worked out. Now I am going to read
why this manual intervention had to take place in the first place... :-)

Ciao,
Unicorn.
--
     ,;( )_, )~\| A Truly Wise Man Never Plays    PGP: 64 07 5D 4C 3F 81 22 73