Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 08:00:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de (Lars Koeller)
Cc:        LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: question: Unite or Die?

In a previous message, Lars Koeller said:

> Hmmmpf. Linux want's to be SystemV-ish, but it's more a hermaphrodite cause
> there are a lot of BSD is utilities on it. To be SystemV-ish is a bit more
> than to have this confusing init-file structure.

It's not that confusing, if you'd just take 10 minutes to understand it.
And btw, FreeBSD gives you the same thing. If you look in your sysconfig,
it references /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, where you can
put startup files. The files must end in .sh.

I use them for everything now, instead of /etc/rc.local. It gives you much
more flexability to stop and start packages.

Oh, I'm not defending linux. I've never used it and don't know much about
it. I'm a BSD guy at heart, and Solaris now.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100       PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370