Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 2014 07:06:21 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repair pkgng

--GGO8D8ULmJtpBxideVa32KwnEo01uXiBg

On 03/04/2014 00:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Your best bet is to learn the appropriate commands in pkg. Start with "=
pkg
> help info". For te most part, portmaster is unchanged including portmas=
ter
> -l. Among the changes you might notice is speed. Most operations are mu=
ch
> faster. E.g. "pkg version -Ivl\<" is vastly faster than the old
> "pkg_version -vl\<" or even "portversion -vl\<" to list ports that have=

> been updated. (Note the new "-I" option to use the index file. Without =
it,
> it is still pretty slow, but you need to either build or fetch the inde=
> for '-I' to work.)

-I isn't new for 'pkg version' -- that existed for a long time in
pkg_version.  It is much faster now, certainly.  An SQL query to pull
data out of local.sqlite is intrinsically quicker than scanning a whole
sub-tree of directories and files in the old /var/db/pkg format.

What's new with 'pkg version' is the -R option -- which compares
installed packages with what is available in the package repositories
pkg(8) is configured to use.  That pre-supposes you're using a
repository of precompiled packages of course, which the OP clearly isn't
given their use of portmaster(8).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20