Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 21:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Vikas Aggarwal <vikas@navya.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 install experience

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Vikas Aggarwal wrote:

> Just wanted to share my experience installing FreeBSD2.1

2.1 is the last version; 2.1.5 is most recent, but I'm pretty sure this
still applies.

> I was installing FreeBSD on a partition on a second hard disk in
> my PC which already had the Windows NT boot loader in the primary
> DOS disk.

OK.

> I used the 'view' program from within DOS to install FreeBSD.
> I tried installing FreeBSD without the boot floppy- the install
> process changed my boot blocks, but failed to boot and continue
> with the install (I forget the exact error message). I then
> proceeded to install the FreeBSD using a boot floppy (first I booted
> off a DOS floppy then created a FreeBSD boot floppy etc.).

OK.  What do you mean by 'changed boot blocks'?  Did you install the Boot
Manager?

> Well, I never really got back my NT loader. I chose NOT to install the
> boot manager that comes with FreeBSD (selecting instead to go into BSD
> when I insert the boot floppy). On rebooting the system, it hung with
> "non-system disk" error. I wasnt too much of a wiz with Windows NT, so
> didnt know how to just repair and get back my NT boot loader. Installed
> NT all over again, etc, etc.

This always hurts me.  All you needed to do was run FDISK and select an
active partition.  Sometimes 2.1 sysinstall will hose the active partition
bit, just resetting it will restore things back to normal.

> Might want to warn people or something.

Think it's in the FAQ.