Date:      Sun, 7 May 1995 15:18:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Interesting sound card problems (in FreeBSD 2.0R.)

Hello Dave;

On Sat, 6 May 1995, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> I recently purchased an ISP-16 sound card from MediaMagic Inc.
> This card claims SoundBlaster Pro compatibility, and comes with
> some nice Windows bundled software.
>
> Anyway, after struggling to get things configured in my kernel,
> wondering why the sound wasn't working - I think I hit on the issue.
>
> If I run (under DOS) the MediaMagic supplied initialition program
> (ISPINIT.EXE), then boot FreeBSD; things appear to work.  The probe
> (usually) finds a SoundBlaster Pro.
>
> If, however, I turn off the machine; turn it back on and boot FreeBSD,
> the probe finds a SoundBlaster 2.1; and nothing works.  (cat'ing
> a .au file to /dev/audio simply sits there until I hit cntrl-c.)
>
> So, I'm guessing there's something in the probe which should initialize
> the card before determining exactly what it is...
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

	ummm, it kinda sounds to me like they are not compatible at the
hardware level! They may be running their own alien being hardware in
there and then running a little remapping deal ( TSR? ) under DOS to
trick all the soundblaster software..can u say implemtaion abstraction?

	I would take the card out and look at it closely. I have a PAS 16
that claims compatiblity with the SB and the AdLib. The truly amzing
thing about this is that they do this by actually having the *chips* on
the damn card! Serious! There is a YM312 and a MediaVision 8bit mono SB
chip on there. The glory and hell of this is that *each* one of these
little shavers gets an *interrupt* and a *port*! This is good because u
could conceivably run all three of 'em at once under FreeBSD (
theoretically speaking.. i am actually not sure how the audio output is
handled ..switched or mixed ). This is not really practical due to the
fact that this means one lousy card sucks up 3 precious interrupts ( 4
with the scsi ) and 2 or 4 dma channels depending..

	since we already handed out all the extra interrupts to the
serial card ( i use all 3 ports simultaneously ) i dont expect i will
ever try to implement this )

	anyway the card should have a mediavision chip on it to do SB.

	IMHO, u should take it back and get something else. even if it
did adlib or sb, it probably only does 8 bit sound. And i will tell u
what, 8 bit sound is like one step above humming to yourself. Think about
it. There are only 256 possible steps to try and make sounds with, matter
of fact, i think the pcspeaker driver does a better job ( sonically
speaking ) then the 8 bit cards ( the 8 bit cards dont hog the bus for
the duration of the sound, however :-) )

	i dont know if u are still running the 386sx. i recognize the
call of the mostest for the leastest, but i think the marginal cost
increment in getting a 2nd generation sound card ( sb-16, pas-16 ) will
pay off. They are supported by the drivers, they have cd quality sound
and they just kind of do the job. The 8 bit cards are kinda like trying
to run FreeBSD on a 286; it might be possible, the computer might be
free, but the trauma involved in making it happen will cost enough of
your time to eat up all of your savings...\

just my 2cents

> 	- Thanks -
> 	- Dave Rivers -

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life