Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 01:48:25 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can I tar and copy src & ports after cvsupping?

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 09:36:49AM +1000, Keith Spencer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a quick way out to cvsup a machine
> with a slowwwwww connection.
> I have a fast adsl connection to another machine and
> have cvsupped the /src & ports trees.
> Q1)
> To do the same to my other slow connection machine can
> I simply tarball the /usr/src and /usr/ports
> and ftp them to my slow machine & then make etc?
> Tell me it is that simle pleeeese.

That should work fine

> Q2)
> If I tar up the trees are the or how can the
> permissions be retained... tar -czvf do the trick?

You have to use the -p flag to tar when unpacking the tarball.
So:
tar zcvf  to create the tarball
tar zxvpf  to unpack it

> Q3)
> I have 4.2 stable on these 2 machines.
> I have read the make world docs but to be honest I
> have very little idea about what I am reading. It
> looks as if I can just do the make world process and
> it should work. Should I be confident here. These are
> mission critical machines and I am by NO means expert.
> Any tips would be invaluable. PS Keeping in mind I am
> a dummy, I'd appreciate plain as possible language.
> I have no external support. You good people are it.
> Thanks so much
> Keith

It is fairly easy.  Remember to read /usr/src/UPDATING first.
I would strongly recommend that you try out the procedure on some
machine that is not mission-critical first if you can.
That way you can make sure that everything works without risking
anything important.
("Always mount a scratch monkey.")

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>