Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:35:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Edward Wolpert" <wolpert@methodsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Java, FreeBSD and BSDi (fwd)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Carlos Amengual wrote:
> - FreeBSD port is being JCK-tested, but it is not possible to disclose the
> status of it.

Yeah... it's now under black ops control. :-)

> - BSDi already has a Java2 port (1.2.2) and apparently they have been
> distributing it with BSD/OS 4.2

Any word if BSDi is starting 1.3 at this point?  I knew about their
jdk1.2.2

> I already have a native FreeBSD JDK 1.2.2 (it is easy to build using the
> port) and I'm looking for time to test it, but serious use requires of course
> passing JCK. Also, real bug detection cannot start until the port is widely
> used, and this means a binary release.

I've been using jdk1.2.2p10 on my production server since it was released.
(p9 before that.)  For the non-graphics work, my tests came out great.
Now, I'm getting requests for jdk1.3 in production.  (I'm not doing the
linuxemulator at this point, and don't have plans for it.)  I can hold off
until start of second quarter, but it doesn't seem likely that 1.3 will be
native to FreeBSD by then.  I may be abit stuck...

> A quite unpleasant situation.

I blame Sun.  They never should have left BSD for SYSV.  (I'm one step
away from a _rant_ here. :-)

Virtually,
Edward Wolpert

 wolpert@methodsystems.com     | A6 FA 89 06 6A CC CE 9B