Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:56:37 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        John Smith <tiburon359@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New netgraph features?

John Smith wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  Recently while I was playing with netgraph code
>  I noted some interesting comments about 'tracing'
>  netgraph packets and the ability to connect nodes
>  located on different machines. I would like to ask
>  if somebody is working on such a code and if it
>  would be worth writing it. Any additional comments
>  and ideas are also welcome.

If you are playing with it, you may want to let me know your thoughts..
I know many people are using it for this-and-that but we get
very little feedback.

I'm presently rewriting a large part of netgraph to make is suitable for
running under SMP without the BGL.. (e.g fine grain locking)
so I'm interested in wha people think in general, and
specifically what the  liked and didn't like.
Lastly, if you have used netraph, make sure that you have a look at the
man page for the -current version to see what ha s been changing.

looking at the extra argumants on the prototypes
in /sys/netgraph/netgraph.h will show you where to look
for changes inthe source too.

(in particular tha ability to route messages for flow control has
been a large change).

As to your specific questions, these were vague ideas of things that we
though were proctical but didn't have time to do.

nodes on differnt machines could be connected by using a udp ksocket
node as a tunnel. Tracing is simply the ability to add a flag to
a metadata object, and adding code to the data delivery function
(ng_send_data()) to somehow emit trace information whnever the metadata
it is moving has that flag set.

The latter would be very easy to do. (but what logging mechanism
would you use, and how would you set the bits?)

>  BR: John

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000