Date:      11 Feb 2002 09:56:55 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        oldtlhingan@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: legacy ISA  IDE controller card

"Noone Here" <oldtlhingan@hotmail.com> writes:

> i have an old ISA controller card which i wanted to use so i can go
> beyond the 4 IDE drives my pc handles onboard. are there any special
> considerations? would /stand/sysinstall see this additional controller
> and any drives(s) attached to it? or would it be better to install it
> "by hand" - and if so, how?

Don't know for sure, but I think you could access disk number 5, but
only after the kernel is up and running (and maybe only then with a
custom kernel -- see if the LINT file has any hints).  With Linux
I've accessed disks that were disabled in the BIOS, and I'd be very
suprised if FreeBSD were any different in regards to handling disks
completely without regard of the BIOS (after booting).

I suspect that the limit would be in IRQs for the disk controllers.
IRQ 14 & 15 are usually used for the two on-MB controllers, but you
can probably find several free ones.  I'd be nice to have something
like Linux's /proc/interrupts to examine, but I think you'll have to
pore through your bootup messages to determine what's being used.