Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:00:45 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        weif@weif.net
Cc:        hartzell@alerce.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up a PDF printer

--------------enigF5FD2679C77B2B17D0A77254

Keith Seyffarth wrote:
>> If you're using the cups printing subsystem you can use the cups-pdf
>> port/package.
>>
>> You end up with the pdf's deposited in /var/spool/cups-pdf/USERNAME.
>=20
> I don't have any printing installed currently. I may be getting a
> printer for this machine at some point in the future (at which point
> I'll have to figure out how to get printing to a printer working).
>=20
> When I run
> # which cups
>=20
> the response is:
> cups: Command not found.
>=20
> would
> # portinstall cups
> install this printing option? or would I have to install something
> else?

CUPS doesn't actually install a binary called 'cups'.  It installs
a bunch of replacements for the standard printer commands lp, lpr,
lpq, lprm etc.  and a number of daemons including cupsd.

If you want to check whether you have installed cups already, then
use:

   pkg_info -Ix cups

The 'cups-base' package provides the important functionality, but you
should install it as a dependency of the cups meta-port as this will
also include a number of other packages you will need:

  portinstall print/cups

To get the print to PDF functionality, then install cups-pdf:

  portinstall print/cups-pdf

You'll then have to follow the instructions to enable cups and generate
print queues and so forth.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20