Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:36:25 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port-related C++ question

Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 09:32:51PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com> writes:
> > >   void  stdin(const Config& config);  <-=== line 99
> >
> > `stdin' is a global variable which, surprisingly enough, refers to the
> > standard input stream.  Don't name a function after it and your
> > problem should go away.
>
> Yeah, I am just puzzled as to how this can build at all on other platforms
> (Linux?), unless they don't define this variable.

I don't know how other systems do it, but I can imagine that they
could define `stdin' as a real global variable--as compared to a
#define in FreeBSD.  Then the above just spams over the symbol.  I
don't know the details of C's scoping rules to know if that would work
as they want it, but I guess it's possible.