Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 22:25:03 -0400
From:      "Brad Bates" <bab@[204.199.163.200]>
To:        "Shaun" <sfinn@thecore.com>, "Justin Ashworth" <ashworth@esus.cs.montana.edu>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Yes, but...Re: out of disk space

Not to short-change your program Shaun, which I am
sure works as advertised, but...

Would not a cron job that does this every minute suffice
in most cases?

Am I missing something here (I don't do windows if I can
help it)?  A short and quick look/parse of df(1) via cron would
probably do in most situations, and not load things down
very much, no?  Short of some "look-ahead" scheme for
the file system in question I can't imagine response times
exceeding a minute-by-minute review with alerts and such
handling the notifications, and I would not want to think
about writing the aforementioned look-ahead routine for
all cases of a disk-write action.

e.g.

If file system used percentage exceeds threshold
Then
  Send alert
Else
  Sleep/exit/die
Endif

Would not a daemon would work as well?  Is there not an
old one laying around from System ? days out there?

bab