Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:40:37 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Astrodog <astrodog@gmail.com>
Cc:        rseals@vdsi.net, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD or Intel

Astrodog wrote:

>>I purchased an e-machines AMD laptop in April and had nothing but
>>problems with cooling.  The machine constantly over heated.  So, if you
>>go the AMD route.  Make sure you do some research and specifically
>>cooling issues.
>>
>>Ray
>>

>As a quick note, AMD Mobiles (Athlon64 Mobile, etc), tend to consume
>less power than comparable Intels (Non-Mobile P4s, Mobile EEs, etc).
>The overheating issue is most likely an e-machines issue, than an AMD
>one, per se. That being said, one thing to note on the AMD line, is
>that there really isn't a true low power mobile processor, either. Its
>basically Athlon64, Turion(sp), or Semperon, none of which would
>compare to say Pentium M, on power usage as far as I'm aware.

I think that's not exactly true. (Well, the conclusion may not be wrong,
but the reasoning is <g>).
Turion64-CPUs consume about as much (or little) energy as Pentium-M chips.
But due to better overall design, the total power-consumption of
"Centrino"-laptops is some Watts less than that of Turion64-powered ones.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_12651_12658,00.html

Rainer