Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Muditha Gunatilake <muditha@seychelles.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Internet Cafe Software for FBSD

I was just thinking about this, and the samba idea seems very cool because
you can present the user with a simple windows-native dialog box for
login.

Note that samba can execute commands on login:

#   root preexec = /sbin/mount /cdrom
#   root postexec = /sbin/umount /cdrom

Instead of mounting something, it could modify ipfw or squid rulesets to
allow access, or call a larger meta-script that starts a timer, modifies
rules, kicks off a winpopup box telling the user how much time they
bought, fire off another timer app that will give them a countdown, etc...

Just add a nice web frontend to activate/deactivate users and hup smbd for
your cashier and you're on your way to a clean, user-friendly solution.

Samba also supports a ton of the windows tricks for giving a user a
network profile that allows you to 'clean' the desktop on logout, etc.
etc...

Good luck,

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
---
                     "...there's no idea that's so good you can't
                      ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."