Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        idiot1@netzero.net (Kirk Bailey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions@freebsd.org)
Subject:   Re: directory structuer for a web server

> where should one properly place the directory for the web pages in a web
> server,
> and is there a standard name for it? I have a box with several domains
> in it, so
> I created /www off of root, ant /www/www.foo.foo for each domain
> under /www but
> I suspect this is not a standard solution. Any advice?

Not bad.   Really, the only thing that matters is keeping them
in a way that makes sense and makes it easy to keep them apart
and easy to address.

Mayn of our servers host several domains and almost al of these have
a virtual host web page.  We create an account for most of our virtual
hosts (because there is a different person working on the web page
for each) and then the home page for each virtual host then gets put
in the directory 'web' in each of those home directories.

eg   ~accoutn_homedir/web/index.html"  or whatever

For the servers themselves we follow a convention of installing
Apache in    '/usr/local/web/...'
Everything, from binaries to config files to logs all fall under that.
The only thing outside of that is the "apache.sh" in "/usr/local/rc.d"
The servers own web pages start in  "/usr/local/web/documents"

I have seen some really convoluted setups with bits an pieces
strung out in /usr/sbin/... and /etc/... and other places.
I can only imagine the annoyance of managing those.

////jerry