Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:42:48 +0400
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gabby.gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: OpenBSD dhclient incoming

=F7 =D7=D4, 14/06/2005 =D7 20:57 -0400, Matthew Emmerton =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Brooks Davis wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:01:45AM +0400, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> >> ? ??, 06/06/2005 ? 20:46 -0700, Brooks Davis ?????:
> >>
> >> I have strange behavior of new dhclient + devd:
> >>
> >> just after boot (with ethernet plugged) I have no devd events about
> >> state of media and have interface down, but after first ifconfig (even
> >> without parameters, even executed by any user) "link state chages to U=
P"
> >> event appears and devd starts dhclient on interface.
> >>
> >> I do not think that it is desired behavior.
> >>
> >> my rc.conf, related to this:
> >>
> >> ifconfig_fxp0=3D"dhcp"
> >> network_interfaces=3D"lo0"
> >> devd_enable=3D"YES"
> >>
> >> Probably I need to comment network_interfaces line, but anyway, now it
> >> works strange.
>=20
> Shouldn't you have network_interfaces=3D"lo0 fxp0" in order for the rc=20
> scripts to run the appropriate ifconfig or dhclient command for each=20
> interface?

Probably yes (it works), but why first /sbin/ifconfig, issued by uid!=3D0
triggers dhclient ?

I think behavior should be consistent, either rc.d/netif relay only on
devd events and does not depends on network_interfaces=3D or rc.d/netif
should relay on network_interfaces=3D and ignore not mentioned interfaces.

Also devd's IFUP event should not depend on user's /bin/ifconfig issued
(or not issued) by hands.

> --
> Matt Emmerton
--=20