Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:21:54 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with upgrade

[I've cc'd our release engineer to remind him of this problem]

On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:26:21 +0100, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> 1)What is the defaault target of upgrade method of /stand/sysinstall?
>
> 2)After rebooting the machine does not see the kernel so i can boot
> only using boot kernel.prev to boot my old kernel.how i have to deal
> with it?

You've been bitten by a rather confusingly named option in sysinstall.
The "Upgrade" option means:

	Install the release of FreeBSD for which THIS COPY OF SYSINSTALL
	was desgined over an existing installation of FreeBSD.

Unfortunately it does not mean

	Use this copy of sysinstall to install a later release of
	FreeBSD.

What you should have done / should do is create kern and mfsroot
floppies for the release to which you want to upgrade and use those to
"Upgrade".

Ciao,
sheldon.