Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:23:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), jehamby@lightside.com, jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

> argument, I was thinking of your "if they want it, let them write code
> and submit it for core team approval" argument.
>
> If people really wanted persistance as badly as you claim they do, they
> would be willing to write code (according to that argument, anyway).

Ahh, so that's the way it works.

OK, here goes:

I'm going to be committing code to the FreeBSD source tree that will
enable new and wonderful laptop support.  This will allow most laptops
to work wonderfully, modulo a few bugs, but it's a step in the right
direction and it's 'the direction' we need to take in FreeBSD.

However, it will certainly break existing support for most desktop users
which user serial/network/disk device drivers.  However, if it's
important for them to have things working the way they've expect to in
the past, they should either replace their desktop machines with fast
laptops or submit code to fix the problems with the existing code-base
that doesn't fit into the new 'swappable' system."

Needless to say, this attitude won't buy me any friends.

Nate