Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:04:00 -0500
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: throttling cpu speed to run cooler

Hanspeter Roth wrote:

>  On Oct 31 at 21:42, jason spoke:
>

>>This is what you could do to check your info.
>>
>>$ sysctl -a |grep thermal
>>hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
>>hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
>>hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 2950
>>

>[...]
>

>>hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 3732 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
>>$
>>

>I have some acpi stuff but no thermal:
>
>hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
>hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
>[...]
>

>>If there is no thermal you may not have support for it.  I read on the
>>list where centrino now has full powernow(or something) support on BSD.
>>Also search the acpi list for your board and/or bios.  There are some
>>black listed products because acpi is broke on them.  I seem to remember
>>

>Which balcklist do you mean? This one?
>http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/blacklist.html

nice find, good info there.

>One is an HP pavilion zt3030AE and the other one is a Gigabyte
>7VT600P-RZ which don't seem to be listed here.

these are yours, I think it is time to do some hacking. Acpi is being
loaded for you, but it seems you have no thermal support. Check the
handbook and the website you mentioned for info about DSDT. You want to
do a acpidump, and maybe get the mptable too, then start compiling to
check for errors in there code. I think you may find this to be the
case. You should forward this thread to the freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
list and maybe start one at sourceforge. Besure to upload a DSDT too, it
may make getting help at sourceforge and that is what they would likily
need.