Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:36:45 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sbwait hang?

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > The file of death :
> >
> > -rw-r--r--   1 msmith  users  5133540 Dec 11 09:12 linux_lib-2.3.tar.gz
> >
> > No matter how I try to transfer this file, about 4MB (the figure
> > varies by a few kB) makes it, and then the transfer stops with both
> > ends sleeping on 'sbwait' (I've used ftp, ncftp, fetch, rcp so
> > far...).  The same happens with the file coming from a source further
> > away (on the other side of the source machine).
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > ANY ideas?  At all? Please?
>
> This was recently discussed on -current, but the file was on a Linux
> box.  Make sure TCP extensions are off on both ends; you probably have
> broken hardware somewhere in between which is lighting all the bits.

The file is on BSD box 1.  BSD box 1 has a modem on a serial port.
BSD box 2 has another mode on a serial port.  BSD box 2 dials BSD box
1, connects via SLIP.  BSD box 2 attempts to transfer the File Of
Death from BSD box 1.  Note that the file can come from systems
further away (BSD box 1 is a router), the transfer will still fail.

Other traffic, including larger files, moves fine.  This file stops after
about 4M.