Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 21:40:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        branson@widomaker.com (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

Branson Matheson babbled:
> From branson@widomaker.com Tue Sep 17 08:43:18 1996
>
> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > > Branson Matheson babbled:
> > >
> > > So far, this seems to be terrible advice.  I messed with xdm more this
> > > morning, and it does exactly what he says it does - automagically restart.
> > > I am completely unable to get out of it.
>
>  You're not sposta... seems that you forgot to leave in the lines that
>  I stated about testing with xdm -nodaemon!!!!

Probably because I didn't understand the significance of it at the time.
You're obviously dealing with a real newbie here.

>  xdm is _designed_ to
>  restart every time. and if you need a text terminal .. use the <ctrl>
>  <Alt> <f1> to switch back to the console! to kill the xdm stuff...

Someone else beat you to this bit of advice, and I was really glad to get
it.  This would have made life MUCH easier, had I known at the start, but
then I never do things the easy way.

>  you have to kill -TERM the xdm with the lowest pid. This will keep it
>  from re-spawning. If you use -HUP it will respawn right that second.

More good advice, although I don't know anything about -HUP (yet).

> > ctrl-alt-backspace will kill the X server, which xdm will then
> > cheerfully restart.
>
>  As it is designed to do.

And as is not nearly as annoying when one knows how to get back to the
text console.   :-)

> > xdm is great for people who never want (nor need) to see a character
> > mode display.  Unfortunately, not everything runs under X, and xdm
> > effectively takes away some of your freedom.  I use xinit myself, and
> > for the life of me I can't recall what the difference is from startx.
> > Not much, anyway.  You could consider them interchangeable.
>
>  well kinda... xdm gives you an x interface when you want it.. but you
>  still have the option of getting the console interface at any time by
>  using <ctrl> <Alt> <f1>. Just a little explanation:
>
>  there are 12 syscons consoles compiled into the GENERIC kernel. 0,1,2
>  are all setup to present you with a login prompt.  3 is the default
>  console to start your X session on...  so you can still switch back
>  to the others using the <ctrl><Alt><f[1-3]>.  By way of note...  you
>  can switch back to the x console using <alt><f4>.

What's unique about console 3?  Why should I start xdm there?  Is there
some way of starting xdm there automatically upon system boot?

>  You can even add more syscons consoles fairly easily... since the
>  devices start at 0, you have in your /etc/ttys somthing like:
>
>  #
>  ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
>  # Virtual terminals
>  ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
>  ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
>  ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
>
>  Note that number three is off .. that is for X windows...

Why off?  There's something here I'm not understanding at all.

>  Hope this helps!

Definitely!  (But I still have such a long way to go.)

--
Jerry Dunham                 Atarian ordinaire           (512)432-8598 (O)
jdunham@fc.net                    GS650G                 (512)335-0674 (H)

                    There's no such thing as a free lunch.