Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:34:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: parallel builds revisited

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Benjamin Lutz wrote:

> On Thursday 12 April 2007 22:20, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>> Benjamin Lutz p=C3=AD=C5=A1e v =C4=8Dt 12. 04. 2007 v 21:07 +0200:
>>>
>>> So far the approach is one job per CPU. I'll do some benchmarks
>>> lateron to determine wether it really helps to run more jobs. For
>>> the KDE ports,
>>
>> Sadly, Qt blows up with -j2, so here comes KDE hopes...
>
> Must be a result of their qmake generated makefiles. Fortunately, moth
> software using autotools (kde*, and also xorg7) seems to build just
> fine with -j.
>
> A bigger blow than Qt is that OOo doesn't work with -j though :( That's
> probably the port that would need it the most... (the failure seems to
> happen very late in the build process though, which gives me hope that
> it's something reasonably easy to fix. If only the development cycles
> (code, build, test) weren't so extremely long...)
>
> Cheers
> Benjamin

Their make system needs to be seriously revised though, as well as their so=
urce base IMHO.

They're still using Mozilla from 2k3 (1.7b) instead of contemporary Mozilla=
 browsers by default, I noticed. It's a mess how everything's done..

OOo could be mapped out as modular components though, instead of a straight=
 line of dependencies, and once there are no longer any core dependencies, =
the make jobs can diverge building things like Calc, Graph, Writer, etc.

This requires a threaded or fork / waitpid based gmake though that doesn't =
currently exist AFAIK.

-Garrett