Date:      03 Jan 2001 02:33:02 +0100
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade FreeBSD 3.2 to 4.X?

I have done a source upgrade and it is *not* easy. I ended up with
something that I can't trust so I will probably do a binary update
later. I "think" I followed the step by step description in

  http://x67.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=679019176

but failed at some point to rebuild critical programs before the big
rebuild. There is also lots of manual work with upgrading /etc or your
custom kernel specification.

Also I think you first have to upgrade to the latest sources in
RELENG_3, build and install, then upgrade to RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE.

Whatever method you use, don't forget to backup things, most important
your /etc directory.

kent