Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 01:09:50 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        shibumi@lehub.com, Martin Dieringer <dieringe@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 770

Nate Williams wrote:
> > No, on the TP600 it isn't a memory problem.  The machine find the memory
> > correctly, and even setting MAXMEM doesn't help.
>
> It's a memory problem.  I've got a 600, and it's a memory problem.
> Repeat, it's a memory problem.
>
> The amount of memory that exists is about 512K *less* than FreeBSD
> thinks, due to the way that IBM maps the BIOS and other stuff.
>
> You need to set MAXMEM to the amount of memory listed at bootup on the
> upper-left corner, and all will be well.

And the interesting thing is that this is probably a consequence of reversing
the order of page usage so that highest addresses are allocated first instead
of the lowest addresses like before.

It was inverted because the bottom 16MB was being fully allocated for long
term usage and not available for bounce buffers etc.

> Nate

Cheers,
-Peter