Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:57:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make release grabbing all ports?

Christopher Michaels wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > I _DID_ read that, and of course that is pointing to the
 > /usr/ports/distfiles directory.  Now, not every tarball that is in that dir
 > is REQUIRED by the docports, unless I am totally misunderstanding what is
 > meant by "DOCPORTS".

Correct.

 > So, it appears that it is not very smart about this and just arbitrarily
 > grabs anything in it's path.  So, since there appears to be no other
 > solution, I am interpreting as meaning I need to make a separate dir and put
 > the docport distfiles there.

Correct, you need to do exactly that.  That's why the variable
is there.   For example, I have a /usr/distfiles.release where
I link all docproj distfiles into, so no additional disk space
is wasted.

 > For the record, this should be explicitly stated somewhere in the Makefile.
 > Maybe I'll put in a pr and a patch for it.

It _is_ documented in the Makefile.  You just have to read it.
It has always been said that you should not try to make release
unless you have completely read and understood the Makefile.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)