Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:31:50 +0200
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: disabling sleep when shutting down

Colin Percival wrote:
> The example of a system which can usefully suspend but doesn't have enough
> battery life left to allow tit to complete a normal shutdown seems a bit
> implausible

It's valid for in-kernel portion of shutdown only. But you wish to
disable suspend even during userland part of shutdown. Such part is
generic shell script and even worse, it include third party scripts. We
can tell nothing generic about it. Of course, same apply to suspend as
well. Thus is plausible that suspend may take just few seconds, but
shutdown take substantially longer.

But it's another day now, few hours of sleeping and your idea no longer
sound as unacceptable to me as yesterday.

As long as default system behavior will remain the same, I have nothing
against a tool/method/way that will allow user to block S3 state
anytime, including the userland portion of shutdown. It's up to system
administrator to turn on such feature whenever he feel it helpful.

Suspend triggered by LID I recognize special case - it's easy to
evaluate consequences in full, thus I consider acceptable modification
of the default system behavior.

Just personal opinion ...

Dan