Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:42:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf re-write(s): v 0.2: request-for-comments

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Dennis wrote:

> >YES! This is wonderful news.
> >
> >I started coding device drivers on Digital UNIX and have long missed
> >this feature.  I can't count the number of times I've gotten 90% of
> >the way through doing something with ext mubfs & thought to myself
> >"oh  hell, now what am I going to do for an m_ext.ext_ref() function?"
> >
> >On a less enthusiastic note, the amount of whitespace changes make it
> >very difficult to eyeball your diff.  Could you re-roll your diffs with
> >-b (to ignore your whitespace changes).
>
> Its not really "wonderful" to those that have already implemented something
> using the old method.
>
> What version is this "patch" likely to find its way into the mainstream
> code (or will it), as its likely to break our drivers.....
>
> Dennis

	You can cast the void * argument to basically anything you like, so
  there is little chance that it will break your drivers to the order which
  you appear to be suggesting. All it would really do is reduce coad bloat
  and make things less scattered. Actually, network device drivers were one
  of the motivations for this part of the patch: Bill Paul implements jumbo
  bufs in if_sk, for example, and has to literally "hide" the address of
  the softc structure inside the buffer so that he can use it inside his
  ext_{free, ref} calls. All that this would do is clean things up for him.

	As this patch is rather big, and does more than just this (i.e. it
  also completely changes the way mbufs are allocated and freed and thus
  allows pages allocated from mb_map to be freed back to the map, therefore
  freeing physical pages as a consequence, etc. -- and there are more
  changes to come), I think that it's safe to say that there is still a
  little bit before this goes through.

  Regards,
  Bosko.

--
 Bosko Milekic  *  Voice/Mobile: 514.865.7738  *  Pager: 514.921.0237
    bmilekic@technokratis.com  *  http://www.technokratis.com/