Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:13:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        forrie@forrie.com (Forrest Aldrich)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI boot order (multiple host adapters) control

Forrest Aldrich wrote...
> I have an ASUS motherboard which has an integrated Adaptec SCSI controller.
>
> I just installed an adaptec 2940, and the system insists on trying to boot from the
> external case that's attached to the 2940.   I read through the LINT file for the
> kernel config and tried using:
>
> controller      scbus0  ahc0
> controller      scbus1 ahc1
>
> ... and some variations of that, but no go.
>
> It's not clear to me if the BIOS is to blame or not... I tried looking through the
> SCSI Select Setup and the system BIOS, but did not see anything that would
> change this behavior.
>
> What am I missing here?

You haven't mentioned whether you're running -current or -stable or what.
There are some bugs in the probe order in -current when you have multiple
PCI busses.

But, in general, what you're missing is that the system will probably boot
with the first bootable device on the first it finds.  Normally you could
"fix" this by swapping controllers around, but since one of them is on the
motherboard, you can't do that.

You should probably hardwire things in your kernel config file, like you
were trying to do:

controller	ahc0
controller	ahc1
controller	scbus0 at ahc1
controller	scbus1 at ahc0

That should swap your SCSI busses around and make the system boot off the
internal controller, assuming it pops up as ahc1.  You can also hardwire
disks, like this:

device		da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
device		da1 at scbus1 target 5 unit 0

Ken