Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:57:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        reichert@numachi.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: standardize device probe messages?

In message: <20021024145653.E22898@numachi.com>
            Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> writes:
: I'm poking at a little project that will get me 'System Info' a la
: the Microsoft experience.

Look at the stuff I'm adding to the devinfo interface.

: Simply enough, it just scans '/var/log/dmesg.today' for device info
: from the last boot.  The resulting data can obviously be browsed
: in all sorts of useful ways.

That's bogus.  My /var/log/dmesg.today is full of crap saying that
certain ports can't be connected to.

: Would people feel that this is a useful endeavor?  I'd be happy to
: spearhead such an effort, but I don't want to waste my time if these
: proposed conventions aren't carried forward.

I'm not sure how useful it would be.  Better to flesh out the location
info and pnp info that I added an interface to, but haven't
implemented on all busses yet.

: Essentially, I need to treat the output of dmesg (WRT device probes)
: as a database, and I want a schema for that database.

That's a bad idea.  devinfo(3) is made for this.

Warner