Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:28:11 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Thierry Thomas <thierry@pompo.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Menudriven KDE metaport - Repost

--Boundary-02=_bTx6+D6S7VAgueW

On Saturday 14 June 2003 14:11, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> Le Sam 14 jui 03 =E0 12:58:49 +0200, Michael Nottebrock
> <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
>
>  =E9crivait :
> > Please comment on this and tell if you'd prefer it over the metaport as
> > it is now.
>
> I don't like menu-driven ports, I prefer ports with knobs to be defined
> in $LOCALBASE/etc/pkgtools.conf (or /etc/make.conf). The new lang/php4
> lets everybody choose what he likes, menu or knobs, and I think that
> it's the way to go.

This is exactly what this metaport does, too ("...and enables non-interacti=
ve=20
disabling of every optional KDE component via defining WITHOUT_<kdemodule>"=
).

Let me take this opportunity to say that I would very much appreciate it if=
=20
people would actually _look_ at the port first, then comment on it, this=20
time.

> BTW, it would be fine to include misc/kde3-i18n in the KDE metaport,
> with something like textproc/aspell to pre-select a default language.

Really pre-selecting a language (i.e. that will be used right on the very=20
first startup) is a bit difficult to implement from a port (kpersonalizer=20
takes care of that). We could convert kde3-i18n into another menudriven por=
t=20
(again with non-interactive knobs as an alternative of course) and then=20
depend on it from kde3, so people could select which languages are availabl=
e.=20
I will look into that.

=2D-=20
Michael Nottebrock   \         KDE on FreeBSD      \              ,ww =20
                      \             ---             \     ,wWWCybaWW_)=20
                       \   http://freebsd.kde.org    \     `WSheepW'    free
                                                      \      II  II     node