Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:19:57 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alternative way to do -stable to -current upgrade

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 11:01:09AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Quoting the whole thing deliberately:
>
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 08:24:35PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
[snip]

> To which the response has been nil.  At this point, you're either all
> struck dumb by the staggering simplicity and elegance of this approach,
> or you're sat there slowly shaking your head, wondering how I could be
> quite so stupid :-)
>
> Come on then, which is it?

To be honest it seems like a complete waste of time and a hugh pain in
the rear.  All you need to do is build a 4.0 kernel, install it under
some random name (say /kernel.current) boot with it to insure that it
works.  If something goes wrong you just reboot and fall back to /kernel
which should work.  It's not like the boot floppies are going to work if
GENERIC doesn't.  What needs to be fixed is that users need to
be reminded the cardinal rule of kernel building which is to always keep
a known, working kernel around.  I use /kernel.working, others use
kernel.good.  That way, if things go wrong they just switch back.  None
of this messing with floppies and redirecting installworlds.

-- Brooks