Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:47:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@aquezada.com>
To:        jedgar@fxp.org
Cc:        jedgar@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16687: p5-Mysql building problem due to missing errmsg

On 22-Feb-2000 Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> Yes, I replied, stating the suggested fix would be to install the updated
> mysql322-client port...since the older versions of the mysql ports
> apparently didn't have all the headers required for the current p5-Mysql
> port.  Although we could check for the correct version of mysql (not sure
> exactly which ones are ok), I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a
> reasonably recent version is installed (esp. with the recent security
> holes found).
>
> If this fixes the problem, I would like to close the PR; if not, we need
> to investigate further.

Well, the short answer is that yes, installing a new client fixes the
problem.

However, the reason why I never bothered to reinstall the client is
because I was under the impression that the version of the client required
is independent of the version of the server -- in fact, although I'd
rebuilt the server a number of times to fix the aforementioned security
holes, I'd been successfully using an older client to access the server.

Anyway, it's up to you. If you think it's too much trouble to test for a
correct client version, and you think that people are going to rebuild the
client at the same time, then I'm happy with closing the PR and leaving
it at that.

- Julian

[     Julian C. Dunn - jdunn@aquezada.com  WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/   ]
[ programmer, web designer, unix user, fumbler, writer, and future engineer]
[ FuE exfe94 a+++ Ifte/slc lonca r- ps++ bs+ t++/*t C+++$/C! w+++ p7 LF+++ ]
[N++/N! cd260 pr++ g+++ S-/S *x++ Fa+++/Fa$/Fa! m1 b+ fc+++/ E>+ rl-- *d s!]
[  "i build my peace through strength, that's the best weapon you've got"  ]