Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:18:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
To:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   install woes

Can a machine get any slower than this?  386/16, 8 meg ram, 320 meg
ESDI drive.  I've gotten past the evil of spare sectors, I've made
the install program scan for bad blocks (of which there are 6)...

but at some random interval into the install when copying from the
network, I get the dreaded disk timeout failure which kills all.

interrupt time out
status 58<seekdone,drq> error 4<abort>
interrupt time out
status 58<seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

and then it all hangs.  Is this the kernel not waiting quite long
enough for this slow slow machine to return?  In the past (though
not recently) this machine successfully ran netbsd (and with only
4 meg of ram too) so I'd like to think that the hardware isn't
damaged.

-john