Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:41:32 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting nfs: what options available for /etc/fstab?

On Apr 7, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Part of the recent thread I had about mounting nfs point to using nolockd to disable locking ... checking the mount_nfs man page, it lists 'lockd' as a deprecated option, but doesn't list 'nolockd' anywhere ...

Much as with gcc, if mount command option "foo" exists which can be inverted, then there will be a "nofoo" option.  Also, I am unsure where you find mention that "lockd" is deprecated, and I see an entry for "nolockd" here:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_nfs&sektion=8

> So, my question is: what options *are* currently supported?
>
> For instance, I'm doing, right now:
>
> rw,noauto,intr,nolockd
>
> which isn't generating any errors, but intr is classified in the man page as deprecated, so what *should* I be using instead?

Again, I see no signs that "intr" is marked as deprecated?

> Also, the man page has a '-4' option for nfsv4 ... two questions on that front:
>
>  1. how do I know what version *is* being used?  showmount doesn't seem
>     to show that sort of info, nor does the mount command ...
>
>  2. what would I use in /etc/fstab to force it *if* I needed to?

As for the default version being used, this is documented as:

"nfsv2
   Use the NFS Version 2 protocol (the default is to try version 3 first then version 2).
   Note that NFS version 2 has a file size limit of 2 gigabytes."

...and you can run "rpcinfo -p _fileserver_" to view the version of the RPC services available.

Regards,
--
-Chuck