Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:52:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO Z505JE & FreeBSD

In local.freebsd-questions you write:

[... lots of stuff deleted ...]

>APM appears to work reasonably. It reports charging state and battery
>remaining both in time and percentages. It suspends and resumes nicely,
>although the Fn+F12 suspend to disk doesn't work. I haven't investigated
>why this might be, but suspect that I would need to make a
>suspend-to-disk partition for it to work under FreeBSD. I bet I will
>find a copy of phdisk.exe on the Windows side somewhere.

You will.  Deep down somewhere under c:\sonysys\.  Creating a
partition will make suspend to disk work.

A friend of mine has an older version that automagically suspends to
disk if in suspended (suspend to memory) mode and running low on
batteries.

Sadly, this does not seem to work with FreeBSD.  Assuming the z505JE
can do it, of course.  Hmm... haven't tried with windogs (don't use
it much...)

Another thing: "apm" seems to consistently report 2x remaining battery
life span on for some reason.  No big deal, but that was not the
case on the Toshiba I used to have.

	$.02,
	/Mikko
--