Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:05:56 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using mysql over ssh

On 19 Apr 00, at 10:56, Adam Laurie wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > > I want to access a mysql database remotely.  I've had success with the
> > > following approach:
> > >
> > >  ssh user@mydomain.org /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uuserid
> > >            -ppassword dbname < mysql.sql
> >
> > There is nothing like finding the answer shortly after posting a
> > question.
> >
> > I found the solution at:
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/php/manual.php3?section=Password_security
> >
> > You create ~/.my.cnf and add this:
> >
> > [client]
> > password=your_pass
> >
> > Then you don't need to specify the password on the command line as
> > shown above.
> >
> > I'd still like feedback about my points 1 and 2 in my original post.
>
> Open two terminal windows...
>
> In window one, do:
>
>   ssh -L 3306:localhost:3306 user@mydomain.org
>
> In window two, do:
>
>   mysql -h localhost -u userid -p dbname < mysql.sql
>
> the mysql client will tunnel it's connection to the remote server, and you
> will be prompted locally for the password (if you're using an up to date
> copy of mysql). You can also use this method for an interactive session...
>
> You will need to have the remote server up to use MYSQL_TCP_PORT instead of
> the default MYSQL_UNIX_PORT, and it's a good idea to bind it to loopback to
> that only local or tunneled clients can connect.

What is the point of two windows?

Note: the goal is to put all of this into a script.  It will not be interactive.
There will be nobody there to reply to a prompt.  That's why I like the
~/.my.cnf entry so much.

thanks.
--
Dan Langille  [I'm looking for more work]
http://www.langille.org/     |  http://www.unixathome.org/