Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:03:58 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How To Install Port Marked IGNORE

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 16:43:03 -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I'm trying to install net/ntp but get this message:
>
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/ntp:
>          is forbidden: CVE-2013-5211 / VU
>
> OK, I know about the monlist issue and will address that in my conf
> file.  Thus I'd like to build and install anyway.  How do I override
> this?

> Google posts suggest removing the "IGNORE" from the Makefile.

A very bad suggestion. You should not mess with port Makefiles,
especially not for that kind of purpose, to fix a problem by
creating another problem. :-)

> However I do not see it in either net/ntp/Makefile or
> net/ntp/Makefile.inc.  Where is is?  Or should I do something else?

It will be set automatically if certain criteria are met.
You'll find the mechanism and some hints why and where it is
being used in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk. Let me quote regarding
the IGNORE mark:

	Package build should be skipped entirely (e.g.
	because of serious unfixable problems in the build,
	because it cannot be manually fetched, etc).

The reason will be stored in $IGNORE so you can refer to it.
This shows: Ports marked as IGNORE probably won't build at all.

If you still want to (try to) build the port, see what "man 7 ports"
has to offer (except it's refering to FORBIDDEN, not IGNORE):

     NO_IGNORE     If defined, allow installation of ports marked as
                   <FORBIDDEN>.  The default behavior of the Ports framework
                   is to abort when the installation of a forbidden port is
                   attempted.  Of course, these ports may not work as
                   expected, but if you really know what you are doing and are
                   sure about installing a forbidden port, then NO_IGNORE lets
                   you do it.

This is what you could try:

	# make -D NO_IGNORE install

But keep in mind that IGNORE isn't there for no particular reason. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany