Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:12:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Cc:        Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports management & subtree deletion?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Beech Rintoul wrote:

> You need to add a textfile named "refuse" to your sup directory.
> List one per line: ports/directory name
> Then delete the directories. If you have a stock file tree the sup directory
> is in /usr/sup.

I just tried this and I must be missing something.
Here is what I have:

% cat /usr/sup/refuse
ports/chinese
ports/french
ports/german
ports/hebrew
ports/japanese
ports/korean
ports/news
ports/russian
ports/ukrainian
ports/vietnamese

% ls /usr/sup
ports-archivers    ports-comms          ports-ftp               ports-math
ports-security          ports-x11-fm
ports-astro        ports-converters     ports-games
ports-mbone             ports-shells            ports-x11-fonts
ports-audio        ports-databases              ports-graphics
ports-misc              ports-sysutils          ports-x11-servers
ports-base         ports-deskutils              ports-irc
ports-net               ports-textproc          ports-x11-toolkits
ports-benchmarks   ports-devel          ports-java              ports-palm
ports-www               ports-x11-wm
ports-biology      ports-editors                ports-lang
ports-print             ports-x11               refuse
ports-cad          ports-emulators              ports-mail
ports-science           ports-x11-clocks

% ls /usr/ports
.cvsignore      README.html.tmp benchmarks      deskutils       games
math            science         x11             x11-wm
INDEX   Templates  biology              devel           graphics
mbone           security        x11-clocks
LEGAL   Tools      cad          distfiles       irc             misc
shells          x11-fm
Makefile        archivers       comms           editors         java
net             sysutils        x11-fonts
Mk    astro        converters   emulators       lang            palm
textproc        x11-servers
README          audio           databases       ftp             mail
print           www             x11-toolkits

% make readmes
===>  Creating README.html
cd: can't cd to chinese
^C

Any ideas?

Jim

> Beech
>

> On Monday 09 July 2001 10:25, Steve Tremblett wrote:
> > I have deleted directories from my ports tree because I'm not
> > interested in them (ie. various foreign-language stuff, some of the
> > scientific stuff etc.).  I just tried to generate the README.html files
> > with 'make readmes' from the /usr/ports directory, but it fails with
> > the following error:
> >
> > sjt-bsd /usr/ports # make readmes ===>  Creating README.html cd: can't
> > cd to astro ^C sjt-bsd /usr/ports #
> >
> > At the point of the ^C, the make process is hung, but there is no CPU
> > or IO activity.  I don't know what broke this, since I have never run
> > 'make readmes' before.
> >
> > My direct question is how to delete subtrees from /usr/ports while
> > still allowing 'make readmes' to work?  I have a feeling that it has
> > something to do with /usr/ports/INDEX, but that is just a guess.  I am
> > also guessing that other ports facilities besides README.html
> > generation won't work either.  General build & installation works
> > fine.
> >
> > As an aside for my own interest, how would I go about investigating
> > this further?  If a process is in a waiting state, how do I identify
> > what it is waiting for and what other process is holding the resource?
> >
> > Thanks for any and all information you may share
>
> --
> Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
>      Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
> /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
> \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
>  X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org